Friday, April 21, 2006

Our new toy

Four new boxes were delivered to my house on Wednesday. Biggish sized ones too. I always love getting deliveries - I feel so grown up and also like such a kid when I do. I'd ordered a new PC from Dell, plus a new monitor, surround sound speakers and a printer / scanner combo that they somehow are able to sell for $19 (with free shipping).

The big big big thing about the PC though is that it runs Windows Media Center. This may be old hat to some of you guys, but it's a huge deal to me. Basically it's given me the ability to record TV shows to the PC, making it act as a TiVo-like device. There are a few very cool factors to this. So:

- since I got a new monitor with it - a 20" widescreen - plus surround sound, I decided to watch the Johnny Cash movie "Walk the line", with the sound all around me. Great sound and I really enjoyed the movie. After I'd stopped the DVD and removed it I went back to Media Center and saw that somehow in the background there was a new show for me and thoughtfully made available for my viewing pleasure. Now how cool is that ?! It's almost like magic to me - it just somehow appeared.

- my youngest came downstairs this morning and wanted to watch Bob the Builder. Just as he started his mom called him for breakfast. He wanted to still see the show, so I was able to pause it for him to come back to. Too cool - he was impressed too.

- I have it set to record every morning on the local 24 hour news channel. At 6:21 it will record the detailed weather forecast, so that when I get downstairs I can watch that forecast rather than having to wait for it to cycle back around at 6:51 or 7:21. I think that's just wonderful.

In fact, this technology is so cool it's pretty close to magic at this point. I figure that it's not really a gadget at all, that hidden away in the box where I can see it is the video pixie. I will do all I can not to anger the video pixie.

2 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, Blogger Sancho said...

That is cool! I felt the same way when I got my 360 networked to my Mac...and all of a sudden I was able to listen to all my music in iTunes (complete with playlists) and I was also able to look at all my photos in iPhoto (again, complete with photo albums)...it was like magic.

Yours is cooler though.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Joanne said...

Having Media Center will allow you - when you finally get a 360 - to watch any video you have on your pc as well. We download battlestar galactica (episodes broadcast overseas that are not yet being shown on this side of the pond) to the pc and stream it to the tv.
It's pretty cool all the things one can do with a pc these days. And I'm glad to see you're branching out on what you watch on the net :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home