Sunday, February 12, 2006

1000 Mbps !

I spent the weekend installing network cable under the house in the crawlspace, drilling holes through the floor and cutting access points in the drywall. It all went very well actually, even if it wasn't entirely drama free. The first hole I cut was to the outside of the wall mount - pretty dumb. I pressed it against the wall only to watch it disappear straight through. It was a hack, but I managed to correct it.

In all I installed four new wires all going to what is going to be the cupboard of technology. That piece of it went really well, and it looks great at that point - in fact, it all looks pretty good. It all worked first time as well - every connection was live without the need to play around with it all. Plugging the PC in and seeing a 100 Mbps connection was extremely gratifying - faster still when I install the new switch on the network.

A very successful weekend project.

1 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Blogger Joanne said...

Networking is a hoot! As is using power tools to cut holes! Sounds like a fun project, and one that your whole family will appreciate when finished.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home