Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Worst movie in a long time

Netflix has been producing some pretty good movies recently, so we were due a dud. That dud came in the form of Napoleon Dynamite. I've had people I like and respect recommend this to me. They've taled about the clever cultural references, the identification with the main character and the overall charm of the movie.

Sorry, but you're wrong.

This is quite simply one of the worst movies I've seen in a long, long time. This movie makes Beavis and Butthead seem like a studied and thoughtful insight into the American zeitgeist. It's ohmygod awful. I put it on with big hopes and probably managed to stay with it for forty minutes - that's forty minutes of my life I'm never going to get back. I need to work not be bitter about that time when I'm on my death bed. I could have been removing the fluff between my toes in that time, doing something meaningful.

Why do some people like this ? It's pushing four stars on the Netflix site and is in the Top 100. Why ?!

It's not just me either. After I'd dropped it back into the Netflix envelope I went out to their site to see what others are saying about it:

"Worst movie ever filmed! I can't believe I watched the whole thing. Wished I'da had a root canal instead."

"Root Canal? How about a colonoscopy? That would have been better. Hour and a half of hell. Almost committed suicide after watching this one!!! Almost went postal on the co-workers that reccommended this one who not only told me it was the best, but wear those stupid "Vote for Pedro" shirts"

Here's my fave review:
"Where's a stick of real dynamite when you need one? There are no words that can fully explain the total waste of time and energy spent watching this. I feel violated and can never regain the 95 min. of my life that was lost as this crap rolled across the screen. I grew up in the 80s and this does not resemble my youth. The lack of plot and ridiculous attempts at one-liners clearly show the stupidity of this so-called comedy."

DON'T TRY TO WATCH THIS FILM !!!

3 Comments:

At 9:31 PM, Blogger Sancho said...

I liked the movie fine, but I would NEVER recommend it. It is quirky, slow, weird and weird. No cultural referrences that I can identify with, nor characters that I could sympathize with.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Joanne said...

Haven't seen it myself. I never really had an inclination to watch it and it didn't get very good reviews from my friends. I am truly sorry you lost those precious minutes.

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same here. I heard tons of people rant about how funny the movie was so I bought it and after no more than ten minutes I felt my insides crawl with a subtle mix between disgust and boredom. Twenty minutes later I took the disc out and smashed it. If anybody recommends it to me I now mentally list them as people who's advice will never be taken on anything again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home