Wednesday, October 05, 2005

A big day for me

Today I became an American citizen. My oath ceremony was in Charlotte which meant a 6:30am start. Laura came with me. We got there in good time, in order that we could sit around for another 1.5 hours waiting for the wheels of government bureaucracy to gradually turn - man, when I retire I want a government job.

Eventually we started. There was a video with stirring images and passionate patriotic American music - I have to say, it brought out the cynic in me. I like where I live, but it did feel a little cheesy. The main act was good though. He was the director of the center and was leading the pledge ceremony. He not only had a good easy style and was funny, but he also gave out a ton of great information to help people get their families in as permanent residents or US citizens. We then said the pledge (the under God bit rankled I'm afraid) and get our certificates of naturalization. That was actually quite cool - Laura was a little more emotional than me about it, but I enjoyed the moment. Then we got to see a message by none other than Geroge W, one of the big reasons for me to become a citizen in the first place. I'm looking forward to negating a Republican vote.

Now where did I leave that application form for the Communist party ... ?

2 Comments:

At 4:22 PM, Blogger Joanne said...

Way to go Paul!

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Sancho said...

Is it true that they ask you if you are or have been a member of the communist party when you apply for citizenship in the United States?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home