Monday, January 09, 2006

Back biking

YAY !!!

I was told by the surgeon this last week that biking is suitable exercise for the post op recovery. Michael phoned on Friday night, wondering when I could ride again, about thirty minutes before I thought about phoning him. As a result on a cool but glorious Sunday morning I swung my leg back over the mutt and headed out on the road for the first time in about four weeks. We were both a little out of top biking form, so no speed records were set, but we got in a good 35 miles. And I found myself smiling at times on the bike, just from the sheer pleasure of riding along. Moving along at speed under your own power is a wonderful feeling.

Michael happily remembered Mt Sinai and the big hill. It's probably the biggest hill round here, with maybe the exception of Pleasant Green. He took off down the hill, with me close behind. As I looked down at my speedo at the bottom of the hill, slowing to avoid overtaking Michael, we were going 41 mph. Damn, it felt great ! More fun than I've had in a long time.

The fallout from the ride means I'm nursing a sore knee now, probably for a couple of days, but otherwise everything is fine. Entirely worth it.

3 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger Joanne said...

woohoo! Glad to hear you're back to normal.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Paul said...

Or at least what approximates to normal for me :-)

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Joanne said...

I wasn't going to say that but yeah, what you said. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home