Monday, January 23, 2006

An odd place for it

I work in an odd building. There aren't too many right angles, the architects were scared of them or something. Which is cool, I like that it's a little odd - watching people who are new to here trying to figure out the room numbering is practically a hobby.

But some things are just plain weird. The bathroom down the hall has a series of lockers in there - I can't imagine anyone using them, but they're in there anyway. Odd. And at the back of the same (male) bathroom is a communications room, where a good chunk of the buildings wires run through. So what if you're a female network tech ? Do you just not get to work on the wiring in this building ? Do you have to run through with your eyes covered, red faced ? Do you confidently stride in, using a urinal before you get to the network hub ?

I have no answers.

4 Comments:

At 5:39 PM, Blogger Joanne said...

She could simply knock before entering and announce her pending invasion of male turf. Or she could stride in and snicker at the view.
I have a hard time envisioning a building with few right angles - it just doesn't seem right.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Paul said...

I guess she could knock, but it's still weird for it to be back there. It's not a regular office building.

As to the right angles, it's one of the things I like about it. Also there are weird 45 degree columns in the corridor, leading to rooms which don't seem like they should be there - like mine. The building is older and not that attractive, but it does have character.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Sancho said...

I think that the Electrical room was an afterthought, perhaps even part of a remodel. There are no code reasons that prohibit locating it there, but it is not a good place to have it. I have had to measure many womens restroom when working on remodels for buildings. Most times I will get an employee to make sure it is safe to enter and then once I am in I make it very evident that I am measuring and not just some perv.

Your building sounds interesting. A good building is like a good book and really makes sense and tells a story (to the trained eye). Sometimes buildings are just odd. This happens when the architect tried to do something he (or she) did not fully understand. Oh boy do I sound like an elitist.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Paul said...

I like the idea that a building tells a story ... not sure that mine does, or at least it's not clear to me what it would be. I do like it though ... the odd angles are different enough to make it fun.

And Sanch, don't you sometimes just go into women's restrooms with a tape measure even when there isn't a job to do ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home