Friday, July 22, 2005

Done got hot

Heat records are being broken around the country. Homeless shelters in Phoenix are being opened in the day for the first time in years. And so armed with this knowledge, last night I set out to ride the bike. Michael came round and we hit west Durham and bits of Orange county for 23 humid shirt soaking miles. Even more odd, it was fun.

I almost decided to ride into work today but I'm heading out for lunch with Scotty-too-hotty, to a chinese buffet. I will inevitably need to be rolled out of the restaurant and back to the car. Faced with 95F weather and the thought of spinning the bike wheels round while belching spring rolls and sushi, I decided to bring the car in instead.

Tomorrow morning I hope to get in a quick seventeen miles though, including Mt Sinai Road. We rode that last night. There's one long old hill on it that forces me to go way down the gears. By the time I reach the top I'm down to 9mph at best and gasping for breath, chest heaving. Heart, meet world, world, heart. Heart, I know you've heard a lot about world, now's your chance to see it.

4 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Blogger Joanne said...

Welcome back to the blogging world!
A charming image you paint of you riding after a buffet lunch. You can say no to a 3rd helping, just in case you weren't aware.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Paul said...

You can ... ?!

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Joanne said...

I have no scientific reports to confirm that, but I heard rumors that you can stop after 2 trips to the buffet. All unsubstantiated rumors, but still ...

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Paul said...

Scientists - pah ! They'll tell you anything. I bet right now there's some lunatic with a head full of algorithms going round spouting about how the world is not flat. Besides, who wants to trust someone who would take away a third visit to the buffet table. That guy is a killjoy at best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home