Monday, August 15, 2005

Talk is cheap - very very cheap

I need to let you guys know about this new application I'm running. It's a voice over IP system that allows you to place internet phone calls to any normal phone. Not only that, but it's free to landline phones. And it's free in about 20 different countries. I just finished a phone call to my mum in the UK. Not only did it work flawlessly, it also is a better quality connection than the calling card I've been using.

The service is here at www.voipbuster.com

You download an application to set it up - apparently there are no viruses or spyware (I ran checks for both after downloading and came up empty). You then need to buy one Euro credit (about $1.27) which took about five days to go through on PayPal. After that - free to landlines. Nada. Nothing. Zero.

There are some charges to cell phones, but since my primary calling expense is long distance to UK landlines I'm coming out way ahead. It may mean I can look again as to whether I really need a landline phone connection. Cell phone calls in the US are 1.1 cents per minute (I think those are Euro cents though).

Here's a list of the countries you can dial for free:
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece ,Hungary ,Ireland ,Italy ,Luxembourg ,Netherlands ,Norway ,Portugal ,Spain ,Sweden ,Switzerland ,Taiwan ,United Kingdom ,United States.

I wish I knew someone in Taiwan. Maybe I'll google for the best take-out in Taipei and see what deal we can work out on their best duck dish.

Try this. You'll be pleased you did.

3 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, Blogger Joanne said...

I've often thought about going VoIP, but the big concern is this: you're screwed when the power goes out. Not sure about all the servers, but most still don't give access to 911 either, although that is something "they" are trying to implement.
Still, the allure of cheap long distance is very very strong.
Keep me posted on how you're liking it.

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Paul said...

That's true about the power going out but then we'd have one cell phone in the house. So far - albeit only two calls in - it just works. For the cost of it it's definitely worth a try. Plus it's actually easier than using a phone since I've got the number already stored as a contact. Also there's no more dialling access numbers and PIN numbers on for a calling card. You should try it.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Joanne said...

I do agree it would be worthwhile for overseas calls. I haven't made many of those, but the ones I have made almost put me in the poor house. The calling cards are handy but I always run out of minutes at inopportune moments.
I'll think about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home